In the beginning of 2009 I started reading a lot of marriage and relationship books. This is a list of books I have read that I found helpful and would recommend to others. I list them in the order of usefulness.
- For Couples Only by Jeff Feldhahn, Shaunti Feldhahn
This is a box set of two books, "For Men Only" and "For Women Only". Small, easy to read and to the point. Read the book for you and perhaps review the book for your spouse to point out what may not be applicable to you.
- The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
Easy to read and can be quite an eye-opener.
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman
More serious and in-depth but with excellent insights and suggestions. Understanding some of the principles in this book helped to bring the number of serious conversations between Catherine and I that ended with little result and a lot of frustration from about 50% to less than 10%.
- The Four Seasons of Marriage by Gary Chapman
- Boundaries in Marriage by Henry Cloud